We have heard of the “finishing salt” craze (I’m sure you have.. come on… caramel salted something is popping up in everywhere.. even in Starbucks) so I think it’s a great idea to get your mind set into aromatic sugars.
They are really easy to make and can add an extra level of delight to anything from cookies, teas, coffees, oatmeal, French toast, challah, fruit desserts, or really anything you set your mind to that you like sweetened.
They are great to surprise for your guests, make a perfect gift for someone hosting a party, or can simply be enjoyed by yourself.
What You Need:
- Jars that can be tightly sealed.
- Sugar (any type will do, but I find plain white takes on the most flavor)
- Spices, herbs, or citrus rinds.
- In the jar layer first one layer of the flavoring you choose.
- Next one layer of the sugar.
- Repeat until you are ¾ to the top. I like to leave a little space so that you can mix from time to time.
Be creative! You don’t have to stick to only vanilla bean, cinnamon, flavorings although they are extra yummy. Try lavender, rose petals, herbs, and different citrus rinds.
This is a great and unique gift as well!