Chicken stock is a wonderful staple to have at home. Make a big pot of chicken stock, freeze in containers, and use for a base from anything from soups, to rice, to delicious vegetables! It’s a great way to cook foods using less oil and in the end making it more healthy!
What You Need:
• 4-51/2 lb (2-2.75 Kg) Chicken (include the whole bird) well rinsed in water or 1 whole roasted Chicken
• 2 ½ Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 1 Onion, chopped
• 1 Carrot, peeled and chopped
• 1 stalk of Celery, chopped
• 1 Bouquet Garni
1. Place oil in pot on low heat.
2. Add Onion, Celery, and Carrot, stir often for about 2 minutes until the onion is a bit transparent and the carrot has softened.
3. Add pieces of chicken, rotating the pieces every minute for about 4-5 minutes.
4. Add Water and Boquet Garni.
5. Simmer (cook on low heat) for 4-6 hours adding water as needed (if the stock level drops below chicken then add one cup of water at a time to the point that the stock level is covering the vegetables and chicken.)
6. Skim the top of the stock with a spoon to remove fat and frothy scum.
7. Let cool and take out the pieces of chicken with tongs or spoon.
8. Place a piece of Muslin (cheesecloth) in a bowl and strain the stock through there
9. Can be refrigerated for 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.