What You Need:
- 1 onion
- half a butternut squash 2 cups
- 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil OR Butter
- ½ Cinnamon
- ½ Corriander
- ½ inch piece of fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 1 Tbs Brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon (or more depending on your liking) Salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground pepper (if possible freshly ground)
- 3 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
Sour cream or crème fraishe (optional)
Fresh chives or flat leafed parsley for granish.
• Wooden spoon
• Blender or Food Processor
1. In the pot, over medium heat, add the oil (or melt the butter).
2. Add in onion and cook nearly transparent about 3 minutes.
3. Add butternut squash, ginger, cinnamon, coriander, brown sugar, and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring every so often so that nothing gets stuck on the bottom.
4. Lower heat and pour the broth in. Add the salt and pepper.
5. Cook for 45minutes.
6. Let cool a bit and then, in small batches process the soup in the blender or food processor. Make sure to LET IT COOL a bit before; if you put it in the blender piping hot chances are that the steam of the soup will create such pressure that when you turn it on, the top will blow off and you might get burnt.
7. Once processed put it back in the pot and let simmer for another 15 minutes. Check your seasonings and add salt or pepper to your liking.
8. Serve. If you choose to use sour cream or the crème fraise place a spoonful in each portion and sprinkle the chives or parsley.