Bouquet Garni is a package of seasoning used for various dishes where you don’t want the seasonings to float around freely in the dish.
What You Need:
• 1 Cheesecloth sachet (you can buy this at the supermarket if they don’t sell it, buy cheesecloth and cooking string the type you would use to tie up a turkey).
• 1 Bay leaf
• 1 tablespoon of Peppercorn
• Small bunch of Parsley/Cilantro/Dill or Parsley/Cilantro/Dill stems or a mixture of them.
• 2 or 3 Celery leaves or 1 Tablespoon of Celery seeds (optional)
• Place your ingredients in the sachet or in the cheesecloth and tie tightly.
• Use the Bouquet Garni as requested in the recipe.
NOTE: You can be creative and add other flavors such as whole cloves, lemon zest, garlic, or whatever your culinary imagination takes you… don’t be afraid to be adventurous.
- Why use a Bouquet Garni instead of just throwing the ingredients into the pan?
Herbs tend to float up to the top of stocks and sauces. If you are skimming the top of your stock for impurities, then chances are you probably scoop up the yummy flavorful herbs. Also, if you want a sauce that is smooth without bits and pieces this is a great way to get flavor but not extra texture.