Beef stock is a wonderful ingredient to have. You can use beef stock from soups, to cooking couscous for extra flavor, to sauces, to a great way of moisturizing reheated any food.
What You Need:
• 1 lb (500g) of stew meat (chuck or flank steak or shank) with it’s bone
• 8 oz (250g) veal stewing meat, cut into large cubes (optional)
• Extra Virgin Olive oil
• 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
• 1 large carrots, chopped
• 2 Celery stocks, chopped
• 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
• 1 Tomato, cut in halves
• 1 Bouquet Garni
• 16 cups (4qt/ 4 L) cold water
1. Place oil in a pot on medium heat.
2. Add Onions, Carrots, Garlic, and Celery. Stir often until the onions begin to have some transparency.
3. Place met into the pot and rotate every minute for a total of 5 minutes.
4. Add Water, tomato, and the Bouquet Garni.
5. Lower heat so that the stock simmers.
6. Skim the top of the stock for fat and frothy scum.
7. Simmer for 4-8 hours on low heat.
8. Let cool.
9. With tongs take out the pieces of bones and meat.
10. Place a cheesecloth in a bowl and strain the stock so that it is just clear broth.